No noodles noodles
Slim Trim Recipes
- 4 large zucchinis, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced medium onion
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken (or extra lean ground turkey)
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 – 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs and spice mix
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon of Chili spice(peri peri), or to your taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 15 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 5 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit.
- While the zucchini noodles are roasting, you can make the meat sauce. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook a few minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant; stir occasionally so that you don’t burn it.
- Add in ground chicken or turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, and a few dashes of red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce REALLY thickens up! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, ricotta, cottage cheese and Parmesan. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add in 1/2 cup of the slightly cooled meat sauce and stir to combine.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place zucchini slices evenly over meat sauce, spread on 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella on. Repeat layers again starting with the meat sauce, zucchini slices and ricotta mixture and finishing with mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 15 minute longer uncovered to brown.
- Serve with a lite salad.