- 225g apple sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 140g cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 extra apple, cored, peeled andsliced
- 140g stoned date, chopped
- 3/4 cup honey or agave nectar
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g porridge oats
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease an 18cm square tin and line with baking parchment.
- In a saucepan bring the apples to the boil, while still firm remove the sliced apple, and simmer the chopped on a low heat for 5 mins until tender and slightly pulpy. Add the dates and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and break the apples with a fork or the back of a spoon until smooth and well mixed with the dates. Set aside.
- Gently heat the applesauce in a saucepan. Mix the flour, bicarb, oats and honey in a bowl. Pour in the warmed applesauce and stir well until oats are coated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking tin, spread the apple mix on top and smooth over. Place the apple slices evenly on top of the smooth mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden. Cool in the tin before cutting into squares.